Department Of Medical Laboratory Science Conference Presentations
- Urinary tract infections are among the most common bacterial infections in humans both in the community and hospital settings, and they occur in all age groups, usually required urgent treatment (Oladeinde et al., 2011)
- Effective management of urinary tract infections depends largely on the availability of timely and accurate Laboratory data.
- Accurate identification and precise reporting of susceptibility profile of uropathogens is critical in assisting physicians in making the right decisions on treatment of patients.
- Of all the factors of production, manpower is considered as the most important (Aigbepue and Mammud 2012).
- Africa bears a significant proportion of the global burden of chronic and infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis and Viral Hepatitis ( WHO, 2005)
- A well motivated and healthy health care work force is needed to stem this trend of diseases observed in Africa.
- This workforce naturally should have a multidisciplinary content with all (doctors, nurses, pharmacists, laboratory…
•Sexually transmitted infections are re-emerging in the developing countries.
•They constitute a major public health problem in sub-Saharan Africa.
•Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection that may be transmitted via blood transfusion, as well.
•With every one unit of blood transfusion, there is 1% chance of transfusion related complications including transfusion transmitted infections (Swapanet al., 2012)